Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday, May 29, 2012–Denali Highway and Mt. McKinley

Rain overnight.  I was ready to get up at 7, which is early for me, but LeRoy said it was snowing so I went back to sleep.  After about 12 hours of sleep, I was up…..for awhile and then had a nap!  Rain and clouds – am I in Washington State?
We didn’t know how much rain there would be nor what the road condition would be so obviously lazed around.  Decided at 4 that we would move on – or back.
This is a good section of road!
DSCN2249
I saw another porcupine on this road – it was climbing a thin, bare bush.  I wasn’t about to ask to stop for a photo!
Just as we got back on the Parks Highway, we saw this little ‘guy’ – mama went into the trees.
DSCN2252
I was sorry we hadn’t stayed at the North Overlook in Denali State Park last night so we backtracked for another chance to see Mt. McKinley.  From the east side, we, and others, thought it was hard to decipher peaks.  (Note on Thursday, May 31 – today I found a postcard of Mt. McKinley that shows what we think we saw!)
DSCN2265
DSCN2262
DSCN2260
At 10:30 p.m., we went outside for a few more shots.
DSCN2267
DSCN2276
Neighboring peaks and river below – also taken at 10:30 p.m.
DSCN2296

1 comment:

  1. Really beautiful. Great picture of the moose.

    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete