Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September 22-Seattle

I am not much for big cities including Seattle where I lived either in or near for 33 years.  However, when I return for a visit, there is usually a reason to go into the city.  This year my daughter Monica, grandson Kyle and I were happy to revisit with LeRoy.
Since we were staying near Puyallup, we did something new….we parked at SeaTac airport and rode the Light Rail to Westlake Mall in downtown Seattle.  Using that way to get there, I think Monica and I might like a girls’ day downtown next visit.
From Westlake Mall we took the monorail to Seattle Center, the site of the 1962 World’s Fair, for a trip to the observation deck of the Space Needle.  Now a regular tourist would have taken a photo of the Needle!
While waiting in line for the elevator….

Kyle and Monica

Virginia V – a wooden steamboat that I had the pleasure of cruising on in the late 1960s

Lake Union where we watched sea planes take off and land

Seattle skyline with sport complexes on right

Seattle football and baseball stadiums

A rooftop RV ….. perhaps it is the garden shed??


 
I would have enjoyed a visit to the new Dale Chihuly Glass Museum but will save that for another time.  However, they do have some outside exhibits.




 

Next it was a monorail ride back to downtown and then a walk to the waterfront.  Our path took us Pike Place Market, which I have really never cared for.  I used to work for a produce wholesaler so interesting to see some of the customer names still there.



 
 


This woman wanted to catch a fish so the man told her how to hold her fingers.

She caught it!!

Now a Seattle highlight I had never seen before….the Gum Wall.  Yep, walls of chewed gum.


Kyle adds his.


The Pike Place Market pig.






































Stairs from the market to the waterfront.



The ferris wheel recently added….no thank you.


We had dinner on the waterfront at Ivar’s Acres of Clams.  I ordered from the appetizer menu…..crab cakes and to die for apple wood smoke scallops.  Sorry forum friends, I forgot to take pictures. Sad smile

Not good photos but the bus and light rail tunnel.




No comments:

Post a Comment